- Which institution will I receive my MBA / MScIM degrees from?
- On completion of the program, you will receive an MBA degree from Vancouver Island University, Canada, and an MScIM degree from University of Hertfordshire, UK.
- What are the fees for international students and Canadian students?
- Tuition fees for the Foundation Program are $4,850 CAD for international students and $2,625 CAD for Canadian students, plus student fees and textbooks. Tuition fees for the MBA / MScIM programs depend on the degree degree choice along with a project and/or a specialization. They range from $32,000 CAD to $37,750 CAD for international students and $19,500 CAD to $22,700 CAD for Canadian students, plus student fees and textbooks. The main additional expenses would be for food and housing.
What are the requirements to get into the program?
- You must have a “B” average (or equivalent) in the last two years of your undergraduate degree. International students must complete VIU's English Language Centre University Graduate Preparation Program (Grad Prep) or present a TOEFL iBT 88 (with no sections under 20), an IELTS of 6.5 (with no band under 6.0), or CAEL 70 or equivalents.
How long is the program?
- It is 14 months for business graduates and 16 months for non-business graduates. Students without an undergraduate degree in business will complete an additional 2-3 month Foundation Program before the start of the MBA / MScIM Program. Students who choose to take the finance option will study for an additional two months, for a total of 16 or 18 months.
What is the Finance option?
- This option prepares graduates to work in the financial services industry. Students who take this option are expected to complete an internship related to finance and take two additional courses in a 7-week semester at the end of the core program before they go out on to an internship.
- What is the Marketing option?
- This option prepares graduates to work in the marketing industry. Students who take this option are expected to complete an internship related to marketing and take two additional courses in a 7-week semester at the end of the core program before they go out on to an internship.
- How early should I apply to the program?
- You should apply as early as possible as spaces are limited and study permits can take up to 4 months to get in some countries.
Can international students work in Canada?
- International students who qualify are eligible to work part-time off-campus (20 hrs. per week) while studying full time, after being in Canada for 6 months. You are eligible for on-campus work right away.
- Once you complete your degree you will be eligible to work in Canada for 14 months to three years. It is your responsibility to find a job, and the career centre will assist with job search strategies.The internship preparation seminars and the internship itself will also prepare you to conduct a job search and apply for jobs in Canada.
- For more information, please visit: Government of Canada
Where is Vancouver Island University located?
- It is located on Vancouver Island in the city of Nanaimo (population of 90,000). Nanaimo is a short flight or ferry ride to Vancouver and a 1.5 hour long drive to Victoria.
What is the temperature like?
- Nanaimo has a temperate climate with warm, sunny summers and somewhat rainy winters with very little snow.
Who can I contact for more information about the program?
- International Recruitment, email@example.com
- Graduate Business Studies Office, GBSoffice@viu.ca
How are applicants chosen for admittance?
- If you meet the minimum program entrance requirements, your file will be reviewed along with other applications by the MBA Program Admissions Committee. The committee uses a points system based on all of the admissions criteria to determine the successful candidates.
May I apply before I have completed all of the admissions requirements?
- You can apply before completing all of the admissions requirements. We offer conditional acceptance to students who have not met the English as a Second Language requirement but otherwise qualify. We also offer conditional acceptance to students who are in their final term of qualifying studies.